Healthy Fats and Foods
For a long time, we have been told to avoid eating too much fat or to eat it in less quantity as they were considered unhealthy for the body by almost everyone,
But, there are so many researches suggest that there are some fats which are healthy for the body and are necessary for the growth,
Here, you will know what are the healthy fats, what are the benefits of them and also the food items in which they are available
What are Fats?
Fats are important macronutrients, other than carbs and proteins,
Fats works as a source of energy for the body and it also protects our skeleton.
So, Fats are important as they provide a stored form of energy to the body.
But, not all Fats are beneficial, some fats increase the level of cholesterol and have some other risks,
However, there are also some healthy fats which when taken in the required amounts, have many benefits on the body.
Types Of Fats
Saturated fats are solid at room temperature, that’s why they are also known as solid fats.
If you consume more of these fats, the chances of many health risks may increase.
The further rise in LDL cholesterol may raise the risk of several heart diseases and many others.
So, it is better to avoid unnecessary consumption of Saturated fats as much as possible.
These are some sources of saturated fats:
- Fatty meats like beef, pork, and lamb
- Some dairy products like milk, cheese, butter, and ghee.
- Some vegetable oils like coconut oil, cocoa butter, and palm oil.
Unsaturated fats are liquid at room temperature and are also considered as good fats or beneficial fats.
These are mainly found in Plants based food.
In simplest words,
Unsaturated fats have at least one bond in their Chemical structure.
Based on chemical structures, There are two types of Unsaturated fats:
Those Unsaturated fats which contain single bond in their chemical structure are called Monounsaturated fats.
These are some sources of Monounsaturated fats:
- Some oils like Canola oils, Olive oils, and Sesame oils.
- Nuts such as almonds and cashews.
2. Polyunsaturated Fats:
Those unsaturated fats which contain double bonds in their chemical structures are called Polyunsaturated fats.
Here are some sources of Polyunsaturated fats:
- Fishes (Salmon and Tuna).
- Safflower, Soybean, and Corn oils.
Trans fats are processed or manufactured artificially as well as can be found naturally,
These types of fats occur naturally in the meats and dairy of cattle, sheep, and goat,
While they are processed artificially during Hydrogenation. (It’s a process in which liquid unsaturated fat is turned into a solid fat by adding hydrogen).
Avoid Trans fats because:
You should avoid having trans fats in your diet as much as possible, however, they could be consumed in a limited quantity from natural sources, but avoid having artificial trans fats.
FDA has already banned the consumption of Trans fats, in some countries,
While in other countries, there are legal limits to trans fats content on the food items.
It is better to avoid the consumption of trans fats.
Food items that contains Trans fats:
However, there are some food items which contains trans fats, according to FDA, such as:
- Cakes, pastries, and biscuits.
- Fried foods.
- Stick margarines and shortenings.
- Ready to use or packaged foods.
You can always check the labels of packaged foods or wrappers, whether they contain trans fats or not.
Benefits of Good Fats
Until now, we just learned some harms that fats can have if excessive amounts are consumed on a regular basis,
However, now we will talk about some benefits of including fats in your diet.
Considering the moderate amount of “good” fats to be consumed on a daily basis, these are the benefits they can have:
- Lower the level of LDL (bad) cholesterol .
- Lower the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
- Omega-3 fatty acids which are widely known around the world for it’s benefits, helps fight anxiety and depression.
- Omega-3 fatty acids are also known for Improving Eye Health.
- Good fats can reduce the symptoms of Metabolic syndrome (It is a collection of conditions).
- These may help prevent Cancer.
- Improves Bone and Joint health, increases flexibility and mobility of body.
- Good fats even helps Improve mental disorders.
And many more, These were some harms and benefits of consuming fats. What are your thoughts. Comment down below and let me know!